Sunday, May 03, 2009

LOYALTY DAYS 2009






NPD Volunteers Candy Garrison, Wayde Dudley and Barbara Dudley joined the "March of 1000 Flags" on Thursday night, April 30th. We each collected our flags at the north end of the bridge and walked across to the south side. Candy, Wayde and I stopped in the middle of the bridge as as a Coast Guard helicopter went by and took a photo of all the people holding flags from one end of the bridge to the other! Wish I could have gotten a picture from down below as it must have been an amazing sight, but I wouldn't have wanted to miss the experience. At one point a vehicle went by driven by an elderly lady. Her passenger was a gentleman in his 90's, an oxygen tube in his nose, with his army hat on and sitting up as straight as he could and saluting all of us. There weren't many dry eyes after that!

I would love to see the view from below but know that I would not want to miss the chance to make this walk again. It was really something!!